As EdTech 541 comes to a close, I feel that I have learned so much, that it would take me hours to explain all that I have learned in a blog post, but I will try my best.
When I started the MET program, again after 8 years, I was a little nervous about my decision. I took 2 classes in 2008 while working at an Army Reserve unit in Boise full time, along with being a new Mom and a Company Commander for drill weekends. I tried to do well, but near the end of these 2 courses, I was called upon to attend training and could not finish. That has been bothering me for the last 8 years.
Being in the Army, from 1997 – 2015, has taught me to persevere, no matter how uncomfortable or rushed I believed I was going to be, and now that I am retired, I know that I can finally earn a Master of Educational Technology from Boise State University by Fall 2017. Happy Days!
I have learned to explore new software, apps and ways to present informative and provide in-depth lessons to students. I have also discovered many resources that I can use when I do begin teaching, for Elementary level Mathematics or for really any other subject, due to the flexibility in lesson planning and resources available concerning technology integration.
I categorized my blog posts & related assignments with applicable AECT standards on WordPress. The AECT standards drove what I produced for the class and I am glad that they are available for reference, not just for me but for all technology instructors. If these standards were not available, it would be very difficult to determine what we should be doing to prepare to teach technology related material to our students.
I have grown professionally, due to the insightful course readings, assignments, resources and software I researched and used for this course. I feel that the open forum resulted in understanding how others are applying the tools I received or learned about for this class and it helps me understand what I could do later or further research & try out ahead of time to be better prepared for technology integration.
Unfortunately, because I am not teaching currently, I have not been able to apply what I have learned in this course to a classroom environment, which means that until I do, I will lack the “Ah Ha” moments that many classmates have had during this course. However, because all of my material will be saved and presented as a portfolio later on, I will always have this material to build upon and integrate into my curriculum.
Different learning theories, multimedia principles, effective lesson planning and professional presentation has guided my projects that I completed for EdTech 541. It is important to understand that different students have different abilities and ways of learning, therefore I should keep an open mind and be flexible.
My Blog Assessment:
- Rich in content, full of thought, insight and synthesis with clear connections to previous or current content and/or to real life situations made with depth and detail.
- I believe that I have completed thorough blog posts which have evoked questions by fellow students, involving material currently or previously studied. I have also applied appropriate AECT standards, effectively showing which area my class assignments belong to.
- 70 Pts.
- Readings (from course text) and other resource materials are used to support blog comments. APA style is used to cite references.
- Each blog post references the class textbook. I also read and researched more than the week required. I believe that I have used correct APA citations and references.
- 20 Pts.
- All required postings are made early in the module to give others time to comment.
- The majority of my posts were completed near Friday, providing 3 days to receive responses from other students and reply. I noticed that some students completed their posts within the first few days, and then responded to two other early blog posts. This impacted the amount of views and responses I received.
- 15 Pts.
- Two or more substantial posts with at least one detailed response made to address another students’ post.
- I provided substantial responses for two other students’ posts each week, and I included my thoughts on their blog, in addition to my personal experiences.
- 30 Pts.